Saturday 17 May 2014

Humans of Karachi

One Hand Story.

"Back in 1995, at 15 years of age, I was a pro footballer. Believe me when I tell you I was fantastic at it. There isn't a stadium I had not played in and hardly ever lost any match. I was one of two selected to go play in the championships in Los Angeles that year and was looking for someone to sponsor me (it cost Rs.15,000) when unfortunatley, I lost my left arm in an accident at a textile mill. No one wanted to invest in a disabled man even though I could still play. I thought it was really unfair and decided I would prove to the world that just because I was handicapped I was still worth something so I started carving wood with my one hand and used my feet for support. God is kind and my faith helped as my business grew and now people seek me out to make all sorts of trophies and ornaments for them.
It wasn't easy as a 15 year old with one arm to think things would work out, but they did- and now I take it upon myself to help out other disabled people when they are in need- everyone in my community knows that I'm just a call away."

Translated from Urdu.
If anyone wants to meet him, he has a stall at Park Towers these days for the Sindh Festival.


No comments:

Post a Comment